Friday, September 15, 2006

Ivy yarn

Y'all are an impressive bunch of knitters. Did you know that Elann sold out of Quechua in Saxony Teal within 2 days? I'm still reeling from this. I inquired with the lovely Elann people and they will be getting another shipment of Quechua probably around Christmas time, so if you're wedded to the teal and can hold out until then, just be patient. If you're ordering one of the other colours you're probably still OK.

Yarn substitutions
(Edit - Overall, I recommend looking for sport weight yarn that will drape well. DK-weight will still work, but will also provide slightly firmer fabric and stronger stitch definition (these aren't necessarily bad things, I just thought I'd mention it ;) )

These are some likely warm weather candidates. I don't recommend 100% cotton, but if you have something that is blended that should still give you some nice stitch definition and drape.
Knit Picks' Shine Sport (cotton/modal blend, sport weight)
RYC Cashcotton DK (cotton/viscose/cashmere, DK weight)
Diamond Cool Linen (cotton/viscose/linen blend, sport weight)
RYC Luxury Cotton DK (cotton/viscose/silk blend, light DK weight)
Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece (cotton/wool blend, DK weight)
James Brett Kool Kotton DK (cotton/acrylic blend, light DK weight)

Rowan Wool Cotton (cotton/wool blend, DK weight)

As far as Cold weather yarn substitutions, I think there are probably plenty of options out there. If you're sticking to Elann, they have the Devon sport weight 100% wool, which I haven't tried but would meet gauge, and they have the Highland Silk which is DK weight but would be snuggly and feel nice. As I say, my friend K is using KnitPicks' Telemark for hers and having success. But as always, with any yarn I recommend usual practices of swatching first, and getting an extra ball just in case. (Edit: Here's a list for people who need lists:)
Elann's Devon (100% wool, sport weight)
KnitPicks' Telemark (100% wool, sport weight)
KnitPicks' Elegance (wool/silk/alpaca blend, DK weight)
Lavold Silky Wool (wool/silk blend, DK weight)
Brown Sheep Nature Spun Sport (100% wool, sport weight)
Brown Sheep Top of the Lamb Sport (100% wool, sport weight)
Elann's Highland Silk (wool/silk blend, DK weight)
Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino (wool/cashmere blend, light DK weight)

{EDIT #2:}Here are some yarns that have been used successfully over at the Ivy Knitalong (Looks like Ivy is a pretty versatile gal!):
Elann Highland Silk
Harrisville Shetland
Nashua Worsted
Knitpicks Andean Treasure
Knitpicks Telemark
Patons Diploma Gold
Bergere de France Ideal
Inca Silk from Ram Wools
Elann Quechua



The knitting goes on
I have my 2nd Ivy staring at me from my knitting bag right now, but then I've also been working on my first pair of Fetching, which really are the best instant gratification. I'm already done the first one and am onto the 2nd one and cast on on Wednesday night.

And then I have the basic pair of socks I was knitting all the while on my trip, which is 3/4 done, and of course the Simple Stripes fair isle socks that I started back in August.

So much to knit, so little time, as always ;)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! See how great *you* are? Just thought I'd give a heads-up on the Fetching, if you are using the Cashmerino Aran, you might run out of yarn, I was very frugal with ends, etc, and...ran out. I'm not the only one. I will definitely try and find something with a bit more yardage for the next (solid) pair I make.
I've not used the Devon but it certainly sounds delightful and the colours!a lovely range of colours.

Glenna C said...

Marianne - oh dear! I am indeed using the Cashmerino aran. Hmm...Maybe I can skip a row in the middle on the 2nd one or something and buy a bit more room...Or if not I guess I'll be hitting my LYS!

Amy Lane said...

But I love the cashmerino aran... (I loved this summer's version of knitty... sox sox sox sox sox...)

Anonymous said...

I knew I should have ordered it immediately, damn. Christmas, shoot, I ain't waitin' that long.

Glenna C said...

julia - yeah, I know, I've had that exact problem at Elann before! Once when I was mulling over whether to order more black Luna cotton blend, it literally got ordered out from under me in about 10 minutes.

amy lane - the cashmerino really is lovely on these fetching gloves, I have to admit! And I did end up with enough, but that was after shortening it by a row and realllly squeaking it out!

Anonymous said...

Wow, just wow, I am so impressed, seriously impressed...good going, actually I hadn't thought of doing that (and I had a heads up),just how clever are you? That's definitely what I'll do on the next pair..it definitely won't hurt the 'fit' (ha).
Can't wait to see yours.

Teyani said...

congrats on your success with Ivy - it's a gorgeous sweater!

Robin said...

Love your Ivy sweater in knitty - I've ordered some of the yarn from Elann (not the teal, too late!). I'm looking forward to a great wrap sweater to wear!

Sarah at Advancing the Plot said...

Congratulations on Ivy. It's really beautiful. I have been looking for a wrap sweater that is not bulky. I have some Rowan Cashsoft 4-ply around that I am going to gauge. Fingers crossed!

CrazyFiberLady said...

That's really amazing. My exotic red arrived on Saturday (an amazingly fast delivery) and I got gauge on the first try. Now I wonder how well the Lavold Silky Wool would work for this pattern. Might have to make a second one to see!

I bought the Cashmerino Aran to make Fetching as a holiday gift for my kids' teachers. Have yet to start them though.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just found your Ivy-pattern on Knitty, it is really great! I will definitely make this as my next project!
Nina (in Norway)
www.zigzagandpurl.com

florencemary said...

I love your pattern, Glenna, and the instructions are wonderfully clear (a bonus!). I've got the back finished, and I'm just starting on one of the fronts.

I'm using a very unfashionable crepe yarn... but in a lovely dark aubergine colour. After knitting for 40 years, I've become really cheesed off with some of the trendy, though lovely-looking/feeling yarns, which unfortunately tend to be lousy at the point of washing.... I really wanted to knit myself something which I could machine wash and even tumble dry with impunity....

We shall see....

Clarabelle

Glenna C said...

Clarabelle - thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you are enjoying the pattern so far, and I hope the final result works well! Surely anything in dark aubergine is something good, right? ;)